|Every year the national Protea Team has its roots in both the universities and schools.|
MSSA has always remained true to its roots and has always actively pursued growth at both school and university level.
Unfortunately, in South Africa, there is much more emphasis given to the sports of football, rugby, and cricket, and the mind sports are left largely as 'Cinderella' sports, even though it it is vital that athletes be trained on a mental level as well as a physical level if they want to succeed.
With the rising costs of maintaining vast fields for the outdoor physical sports, and even a dwindling interest in such sports, it is now more important than ever for schools and universities to re-consider their involvement in mind sports - especially esports.
Jonathan Yates, in his article "" identified 10 reasons why schools and universities should embrace esports within its sports departments.
In essence, the reasons according to Jonathan (put into South African terms) are:
- With the growth of esports, more-and-more educational institutions are getting involved.
- Esports has the ability to earn income as opposed to being a net expense to the institution.
- Smaller staffs are required to ensure the good-running of such a programme.
- There are lower maintenance costs as often existing venues can be utilised.
- Esports is perfect to promote gender and demographic equality. There is no reason an entire esports team cannot be female.
- With most of the fans globally being in Asia, South African schools and universities could use esports to actively, and relatively cheaply, advertise into these areas.
- Many learners and students will compete in both esports and other traditional sports.
- A sports department will embrace esports and develop the programme to draw new learners and students.
- An eports programme is an excellent way for synergistic relations with many academic departments that other sports simply cannot foster. Computer, math, engineering, and others can gain from working with an esports team. This engenders support for the sports department from a broader base in the rest of the educational institution.
- Esports allows sports departments to indulge in new revenue streams. As esports reflects the changing society this will become more important as the years progress.
However, for any of the above to succeed it needs to have the total commitment of the sports department in order to create clear guidelines as it would for any other sport.
- Affiliation: Schools
- Affiliation: Private clubs
- Affiliation: Advantages of affiliation
- Calendar of Events: 2021
- Calendar of Events: 2022 - Proposed
- Colours: Regional Colours
- Colours:2021 South African National High School Colours - Esports
- Colours:2021 South African National Primary School Colours - Esports
- Entry Dates: All championships
- Esports titles selected: MSSA's High School Championships.
- Esports titles selected: MSSA's Student Championships
- Esports titles selected: MSSA's Premier Championships.
- Events: North West Online Provincial Championships - 28 August 2021
- Events: MSSA Online School League - Friday, 10 July 2021.
- Events: 2021 National Team Trials - 21 August 2021
- Ladder: National Ladder Champions
- Notices: 2021 MSSA Management Board Awards.
- Notices: Annual General Meeting - Board positions
- Notices: Celebrating MSSA's female Protea athletes.
- Notices: Opportunities for female esports athletes.
- Notices: MSSA's new Players' Representative - Jessie Joubert (ZAG Academy
- Notices: Lenel Human makes history.
- Notices: Sahil Ebrahim of PES Society elected as MSSA's Western Cape Provincial Director.
- Notices: Derby events
- Notices: Derby events -the way forward.
- Notices: For our children's children...
- Notices: Learners may play for both private and school clubs.
- Notices: League of Legends re-instated.
- Notices: Home schooling
- Notices: Publishing your club news.
- Notices: Transfer season
- Notices: Calling all those wishing to serve as Selectors to volunteer
- Notices: The various events held by Mind Sports South Africa.
- Qualifiers: Counter-Strike: GO
- Rankings: Clash Royale
- Rankings: Counter-Strike: GO
- Rankings: Morabaraba
- Rankings: Pro Evolution Soccer (PES)
- Results: 2021 Combined Online Provincial Schools Championships
- Results: MSSA's 2021 FREE STATE Online Provincial Championships
- Results: 2021 Gauteng Online Championships
- Results: KwaZulu Natal Online Provincial Championships
- Results: 2021 South African Online National High School Esports Championships
- Results: Western Cape Online Provincial Championships
- Results: Derby - Old Edwardian
- Results: Derby - Old Edwardian and ZAG Academy
- Selection: New National Team Selection Criteria
- Selection: Selecting the national Protea teams for Mind Sports South Africa.
- Test Match results: South African Protea DotA 2 team rises triumphant.
- Test Match results: DOTA2: South Africa vs Azerbaijan
- Trailblazers: Michelle Marder