Wednesday 16 August 2017

Changes to VISA categories for sports persons - Australia


There are many visa options available for visiting Australia. This fact sheet is a general guide to the most common visa options for those travelling to Australia to participate in sporting events. The information contained in this fact sheet is current as at 23 November 2016. Australian law may change after this time resulting in a change in visa options.

Please check the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s website for further information:

New Zealand citizens should refer to the Department’s website: Visa Options

Visitor visas 

An amateur sports person is defined as a person who does not derive their main income from their sport. If you are an amateur sports person or a person that supports an amateur player or team on a genuine unpaid volunteer basis (for example: a coach, team official, or referee), you may be eligible for one of the following

  • Visitor visas: - Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (subclass 601) - eVisitor (subclass 651) - 
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the tourist stream 
You must not be paid for participating in the event, or for supporting an amateur player or team.

However, you may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses such as accommodation and meals.

Amateur players may generally receive small amounts of prize money for their participation in the event. Spectators and family members of amateur players may also be eligible for a Visitor visa.

Further information about the specific requirements of Visitor visas is available on the Department’s website:

No comments:

Post a Comment