|The national Protea Team has its roots in both the universities and schools.|
MSSA has always remained true to its roots and has always actively pursued growth at both school and university level.
Unfortunately, in South Africa, there is much more emphasis given to the sports of football, rugby, and cricket, and the mind sports are left largely as 'Cinderella' sports, even though it it is vital that athletes be trained on a mental level as well as a physical level if they want to succeed.
With the rising costs of maintaining vast fields for the outdoor physical sports, and even a dwindling interest in such sports, it is now more important than ever for schools and universities to re-consider their involvement in mind sports - especially esports.
Jonathan Yates, in his article "
identified 10 reasons why schools and universities should embrace esports within its sports departments. "
In essence, the reasons according to Jonathan (put into South African terms) are:
- With the growth of esports, more-and-more educational institutions are getting involved.
- Esports has the ability to earn income as opposed to being a net expense to the institution.
- Smaller staffs are required to ensure the good-running of such a programme.
- There are lower maintenance costs as often existing venues can be utilised.
- Esports is perfect to promote gender and demographic equality. There is no reason an entire esports team cannot be female.
- With most of the fans globally being in Asia, South African schools and universities could use esports to actively, and relatively cheaply, advertise into these areas.
- Many learners and students will compete in both esports and other traditional sports.
- A sports department will embrace esports and develop the programme to draw new learners and students.
- An eports programme is an excellent way for synergistic relations with many academic departments that other sports simply cannot foster. Computer, math, engineering, and others can gain from working with an esports team. This engenders support for the sports department from a broader base in the rest of the educational institution.
- Esports allows sports departments to indulge in new revenue streams. As esports reflects the changing society this will become more important as the years progress.
However, for any of the above to succeed it needs to have the total commitment of the sports department in order to create clear guidelines as it would for any other sport.
- Esports titles to be played at MSSA 2019 Premier Championships.
- Esports titles to be played at MSSA 2019 Student Championships.
- Esports titles for official High School Championships.
- The will of the membership.
- Why MSSA runs its Regional Championships the way it does.
- Draft Calendar of Events for 2019.
- Redefining what it means to be a student athlete.